Jumping Into SEO? 7 Techniques to Get Started
The goal of every website is to enhance brand awareness and generate new leads. Of course, if you’ve ever searched for anything on the internet, you know there’s a ranking system. Why do some pages populate the top and others don’t? Well, a big part of page ranking has to do with a website's SEO (search engine optimization).
While there are plenty of different ways you can try to improve your site’s SEO, here are a few key techniques to help you get started.
1. Have a killer website: If you want to make your way to the top of Google’s ranks, you’ll need to have a great website. From the design, layout and content, each piece of your site has an effect on your search rankings. The better the website, the more “authority” Google will give your pages.
2. Make sure all of your URLs are SEO-friendly: Anytime you create a URL, whether it be for a new page or a new blog, make sure your URL is using your website’s keywords. An example for a new webpage would be “socialitenetwork.com/blog.” Every page and photo on your website should also be tagged with your keywords.
3. Create informative page titles: Google doesn’t rank entire websites or domain names,Google ranks pages. That’s why your page title is one of the most important SEO components on your website. And while your meta description doesn’t play a major part in page rank, it will be the short body of text people will see accompanied by your page title and URL. Make sure your meta description also includes your page’s keywords.
4. Create interesting content: While posting a blog that uses your site's keywords a bunch of times might help you rank better, it will take away from your blog or article’s readability. You want to write content that people will actually read. People (not internet bots) will be the ones who purchase your products or hire you for service.
5. Link your sources and refer to older posts in new articles: Links play a major role in SEO. Make sure you’re always linking to your sources in your articles and linking to past, relevant posts you’ve done about the subject. The best way to utilize links is to use anchor text; highlighted text in the article that is hyperlinked to the new page. This will help Google more easily identify what your linked pages are about and increase your search visibility.
6. Make sure your business is set up on social media: Every business should be utilizing both Facebook and Twitter to start, and if you’re in a more visual industry, Instagram, Flickr and Pinterest are great platforms to take advantage of as well. A strong social media presence will improve your search engine rankings and help you more closely interact with new and returning customers.
7. Take advantage of local resources: To reach local audiences on the internet, you’ll want to make sure your businesses address and phone number are visible on your website or easily accessible. Next, you’ll want to try to get your businesses verified on trusted local establishments. One way to do this is by utilizing local business directories or resources like the Chamber of Commerce.
Thanks to Google's constant algorithm changes, the world of SEO is always evolving. But, the basics of SEO will always be important when it comes to increasing your visibility on the internet. SEO success doesn’t happen overnight, though. Modifications and improvements to your SEO strategy can take months to see.