Are You Making Any of These Mistakes? 5 Blog Blunders to Avoid
Blogging is a great way to market your brand. Whether you’re writing to captivate new audiences or to increase your SEO and digital marketing efforts, there are few crucial mistakes you’ll want to avoid.
1. Not Having A Visual Element: This step seems pretty basic, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t include photos in their posts. Text-only blogs are not only harder to read but have a much higher bounce rate. Make sure you’re including some visual element, whether it’s a photo, graphic or video.
2. Not Utilizing Social Media: One of the best ways to promote your blog is social media. It's free to use and you can tap into much larger audiences. Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn are especially useful platforms for sharing your material. Also make sure your blog posts have their own share buttons, so users can easily post your material on their own social media accounts.
3. Not Sticking to A Consistent Sharing Schedule: The more you post, the more your readers will come to expect new content. Make sure you’re not leaving your audience hanging. If blogging is a part-time job, make sure you’re setting a realistic schedule for your content. Whether it’s once a week or once a month, be consistent.
4. Not Creating Catchy Headlines: Your headline is arguably one of the most important aspects of your post. It’s what will grab the attention of new and returning viewers. Think about the first time you meet someone, you only have seconds to make a good impression. The same can be said about your blog, and the headline is the first thing your potential readers will see.
5. Being Too Promotional: Even if the sole purpose of your blog is to promote your business or service, don’t be overly promotional. For starters, don’t write about yourself or your business and don’t shove your brand down your readers’ throats. The best thing your blog can be is informative. Make sure you’re providing your readers with some sort of service. Otherwise, what’s the purpose of reading it? Make it informational, make it entertaining and make it easy to read.
Remember, building an audience takes time. But, with the right material and the right dedication, your opportunities are endless.